Monday, September 1, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)


Who would've thought that Carpenter's remake of the classic 50's sci-fi movie, The Thing, was a good idea? No one. Who would go see it... not many. Well, time has been very kind to The Thing by Carpenter. This is one of those ultimate "guy movies" like The Dirty Dozen or Die Hard. Nearly every guy smiles when you talk about Carpenter's The Thing. It really is the perfect movie.


Like Alien, it gives you many monsters for your single movie ticket. The Thing features so many cool iterations of the monster that it is really dizzying and impressive. Also... NO CGI!!! Rob Bottin is the master of special effects if only based on this one movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TevQS4qgE_Q&feature=related

In addition to the wonderful monster designs Carpenter dishes up an incredibly claustrophobic setting that is cold (once again no CGI), isolated, and deadly.


Paranoia and insane transformative violence are the names of this game. I have watched this so many times I've lost count.

2 comments:

No Bad Movies said...

I couldn't have said it better. And to think there is no CGI involved in this. Rick Baker is a master. And this movie has held up all this time. I hope they don't remake it. I'd do a sequel before I'd ruin the first re-make to do a third.

atgtacoma said...

Actually, the effects were by Rob Bottin who went on to do other great effects (Total Recall and others), but The Thing is still his crowning achievement. I always enjoyed the effects work of Bottin and Winston more than Baker.