Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My favorite Northwest bands -- 1. The Sonics

Well, I think I will start a new subject. Being a long-time resident of the great Pacific Northwest, I thought it would be fun to go through my 25 favorite NW bands. I am going to number them, but that doesn't mean that number 1 is the best, I'm just numbering to keep track of how many I've listed. Just to warn everyone, I am a fan of indie/punk/indiepop/indiesingersongwriter, so don't expect to find Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone, Metal Church, Alice n Chains, or Heart. So, here goes...

The Sonics
For anyone who hasn't heard of The Sonics... they are THE quintessential ferocious, pre-punk, garage band. There songs like The Witch and Psycho have become classics for all those who love garage rock and has been covered by numerous punk/indie bands. For everyone who feels they've heard all the great bands the NW has to offer, check out the Sonics.
So, if you ever want to raise your "cool points" with your hipster friends, pull out The Sonics albums.

1 comment:

No Bad Movies said...

Great choice. The Sonics kick arse ! But it's kind of sad you are not including other great bands, that included great musicians, singers and lyricist's including the likes of Andrew Wood, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell to name of few. Not only were Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Nirvana international superstars, but we also had Hendrix, Heart and Queensryche to help put Seattle on the map originally. Also in the mix I'd have to mention Tad, The Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, Gruntruck, Running With Scissors, Green Apple Quick Step, Love Battery, Seaweed, Bathtub Gin and even 80's metaller's Culprit, Metal Church, Sanctuary and Rail. It's amazing how much music has come out of this place in the last 40 years.