Thursday, December 4, 2008

I-pod 10

Well, I've lost interest in recent postings...so I thought I would let this become a bit more organic, for a bit. So, I'm going to post things more... as-they-happen. Today, and maybe in the future, I am going to post 10 songs as they come up shuffling on my Ipod. This will force me to discuss some things I might never otherwise discuss...

1. Yeah yeah yeah's -- Gold Lion

I love Karen O's crazy/manic vocal stylings. It's very much like old-school punk. Tuneful and spastic all at the same time. A great single from a great album.

2. Pearl Jam -- Glorified G

I'm not a huge fan of Pearl Jam, but of course some of their music has made its way onto my Ipod. This song from VS. is solid. Probably their most consistently good album, for my money.

3. The Presidents of the United States of America -- Tiki God

A song from their underappreciated second album. You might thing of PUSA as a novelty post-grunge band, but there is no denying their pop-song writing chops.

4. The Kingston Trio -- Tanga Tiki

What are they odds of two "tiki" titles songs in a row, not very high I would think. Anyway, if you've ever seen the movie A Mighty Wind, then you have an idea of the kind of stylings presented by the Kingston Trio. They were safe folk music...pre-Dylan, pre-hippy.

5. Cheap Trick -- Hello There

Most people have heard this song from their Live in Budokon album. This is the album version from the "In Color" album. Lately, Cheap Trick have been rediscovered by pop/rock lovers. They are solid songwriters and deserve a bit of love.

6. Bad Brains -- Banned in D.C.

Seminal reaggae/thrash punk rockers that helped forge the U.S. hardcore punk scene of the early 80's. Probably the most rocking all-black band of all times! The fact that they aren't in the rock and roll hall of fame is just more evidence that the greatest acts often go overlooked by the general public. Also, their frontman, HR, is psychotically charismatic. If you've never heard the Bad Brains... find Rock for Light or I Against I, right now!

7. System of a Down -- Attack

One of the only new-metal/rock acts of the last 10 years that really attracted my attention. System have a strange edge of bombast/operatic musicianship that I really love. They are definitely an acquired taste...but I like it.

8. Cary Brothers -- Blue Eyes (Garden State soundtrack)

An okay song from a pretty good soundtrack. My fave track from it is Iron and Wine's cover of a Postal Service song.

9. Dixie Chicks -- Easy Silence

Ok, I am not a coutry fan, but The Dixie Chicks are more than just a cutesy name or a gimmick...they have some real song-writing chops. (second use of "chops" in this post). I feel no need to defend them... they are good.

10. The Cardigans -- Starter

Gran Turismo is a fantastic album. It was mostly ignored and The Cardigans are mostly known as one-hit-wonders for they sugar-pop of "Love Fool." The icy/synth/guitar pop of Gran Turismo is wonderful.... check it out.

No comments: