Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Favorite Movies -- John Carpenter's The Thing


This movie almost single-handedly made me a special-effects groupie during most of the 80's. Rob Bottin (along with Stan Winston) put more creative creature design on-screen in this flick than the last three Star Wars movies combined. Even more amazing is that it's all done with puppetry, animatronics, and just a bit of stop-motion. Anyone who has watched the dog transformation, the spider-head, or the jumping blood test scene can attest to the lasting power of these magical effects.

John Carpenter, rightfully acknowledged for his work on Halloween, could've just kept making slasher knock-offs, instead, he remakes a beloved sci-fi b-movie from the 50's. Surprisingly, The Thing was a box-office bomb. It was one of the few 80's horror/sci-fi flicks I didn't see in the theater. But, even when I saw it on horrible quality beta video tape... I knew I had found true greatness.

If for any reason you still haven't seen this movie... see it now! If you love it as much as I do... see it again. Such a great time. One of my top 20 favorite movies of all time.

2 comments:

No Bad Movies said...

What do you think of the rumor that they are going to remake The Thing ? I think iot's straight blashemous ! Please stop already Hollyweird with the remakes. I just heard the bad new that they are going to remake Total Recall to my sadness.

atgtacoma said...

I have doubts about remakes in the '00's. Of course, Carpenter's version is a remake itself, so I guess lightning could strike twice. But if they try to do it CGI, it will definitely suck.