Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Verbena -- Into the Pink (1999)



This is one of those albums that I picked up almost totally on a whim. I was wandering through Sonic Boom records near Freemont, sampling various cd's, and for some reason this one really caught my attention. It's also one of those albums that I will forget about for a year or two, then a song will pop up on my I-pod, and I'm listening to it all over again.



Verbena is probably best described as Nirvana/Sonic Youth influenced rock by way of the deep South. Many of the songs are hooky enough to sing along with, yet heavy enough to rock your head. I also quite like the way the snotty male vocals of Scott Bondy are counter-balanced by the somewhat sweeter vocals of Anne Marie Griffin.



I've never felt a dying need to go out and find their other releases, but, after listening back to this album....I might just have to.

No comments: