Monday, August 25, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- Fargo (1996)


I don't know if it's cool to like Fargo anymore... but I unabashedly love it. There are several types of responsed to Fargo... oh, that's the funny talking lady cop movie.... oh, that movie was dumb... oh, I love Fargo. Sure, there are some hilarious conversations in this movie, but at it's heart, Fargo is quite a tragic... beautifully tragic... movie. The acting is universally wonderful in this movie and scene after scene are pitch-perfect.... even the often mentioned scene between Margie and her old high school friend. Many, find that scene out-of-place, but actually it's a key moment illustrating the way every person in this movie misunderstand eachother's motives. In fact, watch this movie again and notice how no character really has the complete picture of what's going on around them. Key scenes...

Opening titles... snow white and absolutely gorgeous score that just makes me know this movie is going to be great.

Any scene between the two kidnappers.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJUvPZI3Cr4


The kidnapping scene... both funny and terrifyingly, bunglingly real all at once.

Gerry scrapes his car window.

The ransom drop.

Margie finally finds the kidnapper.


Margie and hubby in bed...talking.

1 comment:

No Bad Movies said...

Bruce, I'm a late bloomer ten ( I'm rockhardman ) I like your blog. We have communicated quite a bit on the tbtl blog. Now I have visited your blog and I enjoyed it. I too have a blog, but it's primarily a Oscar prediction site with some movie news tossed in. Please visit it and feel free to comment on a certain movie or whatever. It's oscartracker.blogspot.com. Hey... us blogger brother's could use all the traffic we can get. If you check mine out every few days, I will do the same on yours.
Also there is a person who is a friend of mine who used to produce " The Gasman " show on KJR-am and he has a movie review blog that gets some quite interesting comments on it. His is terry-review.blogspot.com. Once a week he does a movie review. I'm always interested in seeing different opinion's on movies. Check that one out as well.
Oh, btw...Fargo is in my top 100 film's of all time. Check out my profile and you'll see some of my faves. Later for now and I'll check in again later.
It's ironic. You say in your profile that you are a movie geek and I call myself a movie freak.