Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- Jaws (1975)


Jaws ranks as one of my most memorable movie-going experiences. I was 10 and terrified. I spent a good part of the movie in the aisle with my eyes half-covered by my hands. This is just a fantastic blockbuster movie and no surprise that it vaulted Spielberg into golden-boy director status. You have a visceral threat in the shark. You have three great characters... the pragmatic sheriff, the idealistic and energetic oceanographer, and the salty and world-weary captain. Great acting and great scenes abound...and don't forget the iconic score.
A. The opening attack of the swimmer.

B. The daylight attack on a crowded beach.

C. The night dive only to find... a head! (damn that scene scared the crap out of me)

D. Cutting open the shark.

E. The story of the USS Indianapolis

F. Final shark attack.

No comments: