Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- The Shining (1980)



If you haven't figured it out by now... I love horror... and I love a good slow burn of a movie. I read The Shining back in 1979 and was very excited to see the movie version. Many were disappointed in the take that Kubruck had on King's work. I thought it improved on the book.

Kubrick took the essence of the book... evil in a place, madness, solitude, murder and just ran with it. The Shining is nothing if not a mood piece.

First you have the brooding presence of the Overlook Hotel (exteriors are the Timberline Hotel in my backyard of Mt. Hood Oregon.... horror loves the Northwest).


You have the history of the tragedy of the former caretaker who killed his family. I love the big wheel scene where Danny is tracked as he runs from carpet to hardwood to carpet to hardwood then turns the corner only to see... http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rmn6FRgYwBQ

and

I also quite like the scene where we discover what Jack the writer has been writing... http://youtube.com/watch?v=qb_Iult5k38


And, what is a haunted hotel without an elevator full of blood...


The music in the movie is classical, yet evocative and creepy. Much of the music is by Penderecki. Trivia...PTA was listening to Penderecki while writing the script for There Will Be Blood. No surprise, the music sounds alot like Penderecki.
The acting is over-the-top at times, but memorably so. The sets are gigantic and echoing with the solitude and madness. I never get tired of this one.

1 comment:

No Bad Movies said...

Total classic. Still holds up very well, 28 years later.
I remember seeing it the movie theater's and it may be the only movie that freaked me out and made me laugh at all in the same movie. There's some killer comedic moments in the film where if it wasn't for the gore and horror moments, it could have been a freaking comedy.
I think it's Kubrick's crowning acheivement, and that's saying something because he is one of my favorite film makers and visionary's of all time. I just don't think there is a weak spot in the film.
I own it and watch it at least a couple of times a year.
Oh... and Bruce ? Could you e-mail me ? I have a question for ya.
kbainer@gmail.com