Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- Jason And The Argonauts (1963)







Until I was about 10 years old this was my all-time favorite movie. Sure, the story and acting are hokey... but it's Harryhausen at his best. I loved, and still love, the magic of stop-motion. I almost always would prefer animated puppets over CGI. Sure it doesn't look real... but it looks really cool. So what did I love about this movie?

A. The attack by the giant statue (Talos)


B. Attack of the Hydra


C. Attack of Skeleton Soldiers


Harryhausen often mentioned this sequence as the best he ever did.... I agree. As a kid it was both creepy and exhilerating. It is still a great piece of animation. I just love how the skeletons rise from the "seeds" of hydra teeth... then march slowly forward... then... scream and attack!

Skeleton Scene http://youtube.com/watch?v=JlFjNVTiI1c&feature=related

No comments: