Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- Psycho (1960)




I quite enjoy other Hitchcock movies and must admit the pacing of Psycho is uneven, but the good bits are sooooo soooo good. Of course everyone knows about the famous trick of killing off the famous heroine and how shocking that was at the time. It was also considered quite racy (the toilet is shown as is semi-nudity) and violent (mostly not shown and the blood was chocolate syrup). So, why does it resonate for me? What scenes do I keep coming back to.

A. The end of the shower scene. I love the slow pull-back shot from Janet's dead eye. It is amazing and mesmerizing. I always think it's a still shot... but then you see the water dripping and realize it's not. Beautiful.

shower scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOC-zvyhrCU

B. The clean up. For some reason I find Norman's cleanup of the body more interesting and surprising than the actual killing. And the scene ends with the fantastic scene of Norman sinking Janet's car in the swamp... and it stops mid-way....he looks worried... then it sinks the rest of the way. Wonderful.

C. Norman eats a sandwich. I love the scene where Norman is being questioned about the guestbook while he is eating a sandwich...strange low-angle shot... just weird acting and creepy.

No comments: