Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Favorite Movies -- The Haunting (1963)


Robert Wise's The Haunting is often touted as the best haunted house movie ever. I am not one to defy that opinion. A case could certainly be made that it's a bit dated now... a bit slow... a bit too much "bump in the night." I don't care... no other movie is more responsible for my love of horror than The Haunting. I saw this movie the first time on tv when I was 5 and promptly had a nightmares for weeks. The opening sequence listing the many tragedies to befall the residents of Hill House is just great storytelling.

The possible madness and lesbian tension of the main character is well-known, but for me the whole reason this movie works is Hill House itself. Hill House is crazy spooky.... and Wise gives it center stage... often using highly skewed angles, wide angle shots, and extreme depth of focus.

The cinematography is fantastic... the acting is fevered yet appropriate... the story is a slow creepy burn... the sound design is stellar. If you enjoy horror...you should see this. If you have only seen the horrible remake... you REALLY should see this.

First few minutes of the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAo6WwpV3jk&feature=related

No comments: